Brazil has 463 million hectares of forest area, which represents 54.4% of the total area in the country. The areas are divided between natural and planted forests. The most frequently inhabited species in planted forests are Eucalyptus and Pinus, which represent 92.8% of total species. According to the Brazilian Association of Planted Forest Producers (ABRAF), the sector has been showing an increase in forest productivity. The climate and soil conditions in Brazil are favorable for the cultivation of forests, since the trees in Brazil reach their ideal height for cut-off in a period of seven years. In Europe, trees can take as long as 30 years to reach this point.
A growing demand for reforested wood also increases the demand for fertilizers such as TK47, which are ideal for perennial crops due to its residual effect in the soil.
The benefits that TK47 and Super Greensand offer for forest plantation are:
- Increases trees resistance against pests and diseases
- Optimizes management: allows potassium to be applied in pre-planting and eliminates fertilizer re-application
- In case of drought and loss of crop, the potassium remains in the soil for the next crop
- Reduces plants transpiration rate thus reducing water loss
- Contains the elements sulfur, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, copper and cobalt in small amounts
- Increases the availability of phosphorus in the soil
- Has no salt effect nor chlorine content
- Improves the cellular structure of the plant
- Reduces the abiotic impact of drought, heat, cold, soil salinity and heavy metal toxicity
- Benefits the process of photosynthesis
In addition to all the benefits mentioned above, TK47 offers even more advantages for forest cultivation:
- Corrects soils pH without releasing CO2
- Releases potassium in a controlled manner according to the needs of the plant